The dreams of Jawaharlal Nehru and Amrit Kaur and the recommendations of the Bhore Committee converged to create a proposal which found favor with a generous grant from New Zealand under the Colombo Plan made it possible to lay the foundation stone of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in 1952. The AIIMS was finally created in 1956, as an autonomous institution through an Act of Parliament, to serve as a nucleus for nurturing excellence in all aspect of health care. AIIMS is one of the most prestigious institutions in India. The institute aims at providing high standard of medical education and is an institution of national importance. AIIMS Exam is held for the admission of students to the MBBS course offered by the institution. The students have to secure very high marks in the Entrance Test in order to get admission in this institute.
Number of Seats and Reservation:
For AIIMS – New Delhi
72 (seventy two) seats for Indian Nationals and 1 (one) seat for Foreign National are available for admission to MBBS course.
Like this way, 11 - for Scheduled Castes (SC), 05 - for Scheduled Tribes (ST), 19 - for Other Backward Classes (OBC), 37 - for General Category (GC) [i.e. 72 Total Seats]
For Indian Nationals, 3% reservation for orthopaedic physically handicapped shall be provided on horizontal basis, in the seats available.
For Six AIIMS like Institutions
From August 2013, Six New AIIMS like Institutions (viz: Bhopal, Patna, Jodhpur, Rishikesh, Raipur and Bhubaneswar) will start with an intake of 100 students each. The reservation policy followed will be 7.5% ST, 15% SC and 27% OBC. For Indian Nationals, 3% reservation for Orthopaedic physically handicapped shall be provided on horizontal basis, in the seats available.
Important Dates of AIIMS:
- Date of Entrance Examination: 1st June 2013 (Saturday) - 10:00 AM to 1:30 PM
(Online and off line mode subject to availability of candidates in a particular centre.)
- Last date for Online Registration of Applications on AIIMS website www.aiimsexams.org : 24th March 2013
- Status of Applications and date of hosting / uploading the Admit Cards on AIIMS website: 16th May, 2013
- Expected date of declaration of Result: 1st July, 2013
Note: The admit cards will be made available through internet only and not by post. The result will be displayed on the Notice Board of Examination Section, AIIMS New Delhi and at all the Six New AIIMS sites and will also be available on the internet at www.aiims.ac.in, www.aiims.edu, www.aiimsexams.org and also on www.mohfw.nic.in Result of individual candidates will NOT be informed on telephone.
Course Duration: 5 and ½ years.
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.) of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences shall last for a minimum of 5½ academic years including one year's compulsory internship.
Qualification and Eligibility Criteria for AIIMS:
- He/ She should be a Citizen of India.
- The candidate should have attained the age of 17 (seventeen) years as on 31st December of the year of admission and above.
- Candidates should have passed 12th Class examination under 10+2 Scheme or an equivalent examination of a recognized Board with ENGLISH, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY and BIOLOGY.
- Candidates who have obtained a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate in 4 subjects of ENGLISH, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY and BIOLOGY are eligible for AIIMS test.
- For SC/ST candidates 50% marks in aggregate of ENGLISH, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY and BIOLOGY.
Pattern of AIIMS Examination:
The Competitive Entrance Examination will be of 3½ hours duration and will have one paper consisting of 200 objective type (multiple choice and reason-assertion type) questions from Physics, Chemistry, Biology and General Knowledge. The distribution of questions is as follows:
||No. of Questions
|Biology (Botany and Zoology)
Incorrect responses will be given negative marks. Each correct response will get a score of (1) one mark and each incorrect response will get a score of -1/3 (minus-one-third). No credit will be given for the questions not answered. More than one response will be treated as wrong answer and negatively marked.
How to obtain Prospectus-cum-Application Form:
Through On-line: A candidate can submit application online through website: www.aiimsexams.org. The candidate can pay fee through challan in any branch of SBI. The candidates are required to bring AIIMS copy of challan form at the time of Entrance Exam along with admit card and handover the same to the Invigilator failing which they will not be allowed to enter.
- The Prospectus-cum-Application Form can also be obtained by Speed post/Registered post by sending a crossed Bank Draft of Rs. 1050/- for General / OBC and Rs. 850/- for SC/ST category drawn in favour of the "ACCOUNTS OFFICER (Exams), AIIMS-MBBS-2013". The Bank Draft should be payable at New Delhi. Envelope containing Bank Draft should write "REQUEST FOR APPLICATION FROM FOR MBBS ENTRANCE EXAMINATION".
- Prospectus-cum-Application Form can be obtained by hand against Bank Draft of Rs. 1000/- for General / OBC category and Rs. 800/- for SC /ST category drawn as specified above. The Prospectus is available on AIIMS website: www.aiimsexams.org and must be read carefully by the applicants before applying.
Exam Centre of AIIMS:
AIIMS Entrance Exam will be conduct in eighteen centres of India.
Important points to note:
- Incomplete application will be summarily rejected and no correspondence will be entertained in this regard.
- Do not submit any document - original or photocopy - with the application; the Institute does not take any responsibility for return of the same.
- Admission of candidates to entrance examination is provisional, subject to their being eligible for admission to MBBS course.
- If ineligibility of a candidate is detected at any stage before or after examination/ declaration of result, his/her candidature/admission will be cancelled without any notice.
- The centre indicated for the entrance examination by a candidate is only his/her option. Actual centre will be allotted by AIIMS and it will be final. No correspondence in this regard will be entertained. The centre once allotted will not be changed in any circumstances.
- Any document/certificate submitted separately at later stage should bear the following title: "Application Form No....... for M.B.B.S. Entrance Examination, 2013".
- In case any candidate is found to have furnished false information or certificate etc. or is found to have withheld or concealed any material information in his/her application, he/she will be debarred from admission.
- If the Institute has to consider an examination of an Indian University or of a foreign university to be equivalent to the 12th class under 10+2 scheme/Intermediate Science examination, the candidates shall have to produce a certificate from the concerned Indian University/Association of the Indian Universities to the effect that the examination passed by him/her is considered by them to be equivalent to the 12th class under 10+2 scheme/Intermediate.
- Candidates should NOT bring pen/pencil to the Examination Hall as the same will be provided by AIIMS at the examination centre for writing/marking responses on (OMR) answer sheet.
- The candidate should report at the examination centre at 8:30 a.m.
- Downloadable Admit cards of all the eligible candidates will be hosted on website www.aiimsexams.org. Candidates are advised to download their Admit Card from said website. It may please be noted that the Admit Cards will not be sent by post.
- No candidate will be allowed to enter the Examination Hall without a valid Admit Card and I D proof.
- No candidate will be allowed entry in the examination centre after 9:55 a.m.
- No candidate should carry any textural material, printed or written, bits of papers or any other material except the Admit Card inside the examination hall. If a candidate is found to be copying/conversing with other candidate/to have in his/her possession papers, notes or books he/she will be disqualified from taking that examination and the next one or two such examinations according to the nature of offence.
- Candidates should not bring cell phone, pager, calculator or any kind of electronic gadgets etc. to the examination hall; these are strictly prohibited.
- Candidates must not obtain or give or attempt to obtain or give irregular assistance of any kind during the examination; this will entail expulsion and cancellation of candidature for the examination.
- No candidate will be allowed to leave the examination hall before the end of 3½ hours.
- Any attempt to note down questions during the examination or to take away pages from the Question Booklet will be viewed very seriously, and invite criminal proceedings.
- Candidates must leave examination hall only after handing over answer sheet and question booklet to the Invigilator.
- Change, if any, in the address should be promptly reported to the Institute. The candidates must also ensure that any communication sent at the earlier address is re-directed to him/her.
- Any dispute in regard to any matter referred to herein will be subject to the jurisdiction of Delhi Courts alone.
Important information regarding admission to the MBBS course of six new AIIMS:
- MBBS classes have been started from August-2012 in the six AIIMS like Institutions at Bhubaneswar, Bhopal, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur and Rishikesh.
- The admissions to the MBBS course in these six AIIMS like Institutions have been conducted through the same entrance examination for admission to MBBS course in AIIMS New Delhi.
- Candidates desirous of being considered for admission to any of these six institutions apart from AIIMS New Delhi should indicate their preference in the application form itself.
- AIIMS would prepare a merit list and operate it first for filling its 72 MBBS seats both from general and reserved category candidates. Thereafter, the merit list would be operated for allotting candidates to the six AIIMS like Institutions in order of the candidate’s merit and preference.
- The counseling and admissions for the six AIIMS like Institutions will be done by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. Any dispute in regard to counseling and admissions will be dealt with by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- The admission notice in respect of six AIIMS like Institutions is tentative. In case, for any reasons whatsoever, MBBS courses are not commenced in the six AIIMS like Institutions in the session 2013, no right for admission shall accrue to any candidate who might apply for admission in response to this admission notice.
- No liability of any kind whatsoever is pertaining to the MBBS course at these six AIIMS like Institutions and or admissions thereto shall devolve upon AIIMS, New Delhi.
For enquiries relating to Entrance Examination please contact:
Assistant Controller (Exams)
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
Ansari Nagar, New Delhi -110608
Tel: 26589900, 26588500 Extn. 6421, 4499, 6422
Fax: 011 2658 8789
Website: http://www.aiims.edu/ and http://www.aiims.ac.in/
For enquiries relating to Counseling and Admission to Six new AIIMS, please contact from 1st July, 2013 onwards:
PMSSY Section, Room No.22 ‘A’ Wing,
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare,
Nirman Bhawan, Maulana Azad Road,
New Delhi-110 011
Tel Fax: No- 011-23061867, 23063543